How to Create a Bilingual Website: A Step-by-Step Guide
The Value of Creating a Dual Language Site
Adding a second language to your website allows expanding reach to new domestic and international audiences. Enabling bilingual content presents a major opportunity to engage users who speak multiple tongues and tap into overseas markets. Translating site pages has the potential to significantly increase audience size and business opportunities.
Expanding the reach of your website by adding a second language can indeed bring several benefits and opportunities. By enabling bilingual content, you open doors to engage with users who are fluent in multiple languages, both domestically and internationally. This not only allows you to cater to a broader audience but also taps into new markets and potential business opportunities. To help you make the most of this endeavor, let’s explore the benefits, solutions, and best practices for implementing a high-impact bilingual or multilingual website.
Key Benefits of a Translated Site
There are two core advantages to having a translated site:
Expanded Reach – A bilingual site is essential for companies operating globally. The web is not solely English. Presenting content in different languages facilitates better connecting with non-English speaking users abroad and domestically.
Enhanced Brand – Providing a localized experience conveys a modern, progressive brand image. It signals an intent to engage users by speaking their native language. This builds trust and goodwill with international audiences.
Must-Have Elements of a Translation Solution
An effective multilingual website solution should include:
- Accurate and complete translations across all site content
- Quick setup without extensive technical skills needed
- Choice between automated translation or professional human translation
- Built-in multilingual SEO to optimize translated content for local search visibility
- Tools to help users find the site through localized keywords and search engines
- Seamless integration across platforms like WordPress, Shopify, Wix etc.
- Intuitive language toggle options for a smooth user experience
- Ongoing translation maintenance and management capabilities
The ideal solution empowers creating a locally engaging translated site experience.
Best Practices for Implementation Success
These strategies help ensure an impactful multilingual website:
- Leverage analytics to identify priority languages based on existing traffic
- Localize imagery, content and examples tailored to each target culture
- Maintain updated translations across all languages and pages
- Enable effortless language switching for intuitive navigation
- Follow technical SEO best practices for translated sites
- Adapt design for text expansion differences across languages
- Set expectations by noting untranslated pages
Providing a culturally relevant localized multilingual site shows respect and dedication to international visitors. In turn this fosters loyalty and satisfaction with foreign language customers.
The Value of a Professional Translation Solution
Creating an exceptional multilingual website requires careful planning and execution. From initial setup to ongoing operations, many key factors influence success.
The right translation solution empowers handling the complexities smoothly while delivering quality outcomes. Look for a provider offering:
- Comprehensive language support including emerging markets
- Flexible translation options combining automation and human translation
- Simple integration with leading platforms like WordPress and Shopify
- Built-in multilingual SEO optimization tools
- Easy to use visual translation and editing
- Ongoing translation maintenance and management
- Top-notch customer service and technical support
This level of capabilities enables creating a professionally translated site designed to convert international traffic.
Strategies for Implementation Success
Follow these best practices when launching and operating a multilingual website:
Prioritize Languages Strategically – Use data like Google Analytics to identify the top traffic languages to focus on first. Start with core languages before expanding.
Localize Site Content and Assets – Adapt imagery, videos, examples and text to be culturally relevant for each target locale.
Enable Seamless Navigation – Implement intuitive language toggling and automatically detect location to provide a smooth user experience.
Follow Multilingual SEO Best Practices – Use hreflang tags, local keywords and optimize technical factors to improve visibility.
Maintain Updated Translations – Keep all languages in sync when adding new English content to prevent inconsistencies.
Adapt Design for Expansion – Review templates and layouts to account for text expansion differences across languages.
Set User Expectations – Indicate untranslated pages to avoid confusion and provide context to visitors.
Providing an authentic localized experience shows respect for international audiences. In turn this fosters engagement, satisfaction and loyalty with foreign language site visitors.
The Takeaway: Invest to Unlock Global Opportunities
Ready to get started?
Translation, far more than just knowing languages, is a complex process.
By following our tips and using ConveyThis, your translated pages will resonate with your audience, feeling native to the target language.
While it demands effort, the result is rewarding. If you’re translating a website, ConveyThis can save you hours with automated machine translation.
Try ConveyThis free for 7 days!